Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Oneiric Rainforest Medicine for Spiritual and Medical Use

What is Iboga?  What is ibogaine?  Besides a "plant teacher" from the equatorial western Africa rainforests of Gabon, Cameroon, and parts of some other republics and nation-states.
Dr. Hip says its a psychedelic. Howard Lotsof told me it wasn't really. Dana Beal says its a REM-mimetic neurotrophigen, i.e. an oneiric under which the patient experiences a dream-like state that stimulates some brain chemistry mechanisms that are unknown but do express GDNF.  
I like oneiric -- dream-like -- because I care most about safety.  It's a dream you might not wake up from if you aren't really careful.
But there is a serpent I saw ...
Up to 1/3 of those who take it do not experience visualizations.  So maybe its NOT a true psychedelic.
But reportedly 1 in 300 (or fewer) will potentially need medical intervention to ingest it safely in a Western context.  Ibogaine is not really a DIY substance.  
I dunno. I've never eaten the Freedom Root. (But then again, I've never taken cocaine or dope or meth either. So what do I know about any of all this addiction treatment anyway...)
But there is a serpent I saw...
It was patterned in undulating yellow and red, strong and supple, emanating from the opening light that is the Holy Mother energy of Shakti. 

And I did not eat the Root. But simply sat in a room and prayed with a beloved who was flooding... 
It was some sort of gargantuan python like creature. 
And it was about to bite my head off until I opened my eyes.
Now *that* is powerful Medicine. 
Spirits were flying around... our bed vibrated... Healing happened. 
I was part of it. So were a few others. But somehow I'm not supposed to saaaaay that publicly?  Or write a grant proposal that expresses my dream?
Spiritual use. Medical use. Little potential for abuse. Great potential for helping addiction interruptions and neurological illnesses. 
Get it off Schedule 1 in the U.S.
A REM-mimetic that expresses GDNF (e.g. a neurotrophigen).  
I wonder what it might have done for my great friend, Kate Struby, and her ALS...
Parkinson's low dose clinicals going on now! 
What could it do for neurological disease more generally?
PS:  My crazy uncle Dana says:  "For anyone who wishes to know more about ibogaine, there is an excellent free documentary online"
Ibogaine: Rite of Passage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPDIH9WODnk

No comments:

Poll: Should the U.S. revisit the Schedule I status given to IBOGAINE in order to research its anti-addiction properties?